This book contributes to the literature on Geographical Indications (GIs) by providing key theoretical reflections from a five-year review process on the potential of GIs for agri-food products in Southern Africa. The contributors reflect on diverse GI processes and dynamics which operate at the local, national and international levels, thus enriching the understanding of GI dynamics and of the variety of policy options available for GI protection in Southern countries. Following a discussion of the legal framework and governance of national GI schemes in Southern countries, the book emphasizes the main dimensions underlying the development of GIs and their potential for enhancing sustainable rural development and market access in particular. This provides the structure for the chapters that build on the different experiences of Southern African industries that have embarked on GI strategies. The book includes chapters on designing an appropriate legal framework and governance system for the development of GIs in Southern countries.
1. Why the need to consider GIs in the South?
Cerkia Bramley and Estelle Biénabe
2. Designing an appropriate legal framework and governance system for GI development in Southern countries
Cerkia Bramley, Delphine Marie-Vivien and Estelle Biénabe
3. Collective action dynamics and product reputation
Estelle Biénabe, Johann Kirsten and Cerkia Bramley
4. Private versus public quality schemes for origin-labelled products: Insights from the Karakul pelts and Camdeboo mohair industries
Estelle Biénabe,Danie Jordaan and Cerkia Bramley
5. Institution building and local industry dynamics: Lessons from the Rooibos GI initiative
Dirk Troskie and Estelle Biénabe
6. Guidelines for selecting successful GI products
Utilizziamo i cookie di profilazione, anche di terze parti, per migliorare la navigazione, per fornire servizi e proporti pubblicità in linea con le tue preferenze. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie clicca qui. Chiudendo questo banner o proseguendo nella navigazione acconsenti all’uso dei cookie.