This book examines the emergence of modern working-class youth culture through the perspective of an urban history of post-war Britain, with a particular focus on the influence of young people and their culture on Britain’s self-image as a country emerging from the constraints of its post-Victorian, imperial past.
Each section of the book – Society, City, Pop, and Space – considers in detail the ways in which working-class youth culture corresponded with a fast-changing metropolitan and urban society in the years following the decline of the British Empire.
Was teenage culture rooted in the urban experience and the transformation of working-class neighbourhoods? Did youth subcultures emerge simply as a reaction to Britain's changing racial demographic? To what extent did leisure venues and institutions function as laboratories for a developing British pop culture, which ultimately helped Britain re-establish its prominence on the world stage?
These questions and more are answered in this book.
PART I: SOCIETY
2. ‘Vulgar Nincompoops’ and ‘Sawdust Caesars’: Generations, adolescence, and the historicity of youth culture in post-war debates
3. ‘First I Look At The Purse’: Youth at work
PART II: CITY
4. Mods, working-class youth and London’s way of becoming a modern post-war metropolis
5. Working-class youth and the social transformation of post-war London
PART III: POP
6. Making Britain great again: Popular culture and the British invasion
7. Cultural renewal and the transnational fashion industry
PART IV: SPACE
8. The creation and use of public space
9. Leisure venues: London by day and by night
Felix Fuhg is Research Associate at the Center for Metropolitan Studies at the Technical University Berlin, Germany.
i libri che interessano a chi ha i tuoi gusti
Collana: Palgrave Studies in the History of Subcultures and Popular Music
Dimensioni: 210 x 148 mm Ø 724 gr
Formato: Copertina rigida
Illustration Notes:16 Illustrations, black and white
Utilizziamo i cookie di profilazione, anche di terze parti, per migliorare la navigazione, per fornire servizi e proporti pubblicità in linea con le tue preferenze. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso a tutti o ad alcuni cookie clicca qui. Chiudendo questo banner o proseguendo nella navigazione acconsenti all’uso dei cookie.